Nature Run Adventure

Posted on Updated on

I’m assuming no matter where you are (in the Northern Hemisphere) the temperatures rose significantly within the past week. Down in Virginia (in particular, where I am) the humidity percentages are crazy high and no matter what I do, even if I just take out the trash, I’m guaranteed to break a sweat. Because of this, I try to run, on the very few days that I actually do run, either early in the morning or later in the evening. SInce tomorrow is Monday, I have an exam in my Intro to the Human Body/Human Biology class and I spend all morning and early afternoon reviewing the material, watching online lecture videos and rereading the chapters in the book. By the time I felt comfortable enough to stop reviewing, it was (a) storming outside and (b) the temperatures were then at their daily peaks. When the dining hall opened at five, I walked over, filled up on vegetables, fruit (bananas in particular), and protein before heading over to the vacant field hockey turf. (NOTE: no carbs nor dairy – I’m whole30-ing it for the time being and it will be the topic for Monday’s post!)

I haven’t been too fond of my few, recent experiences with running; I can only physically run for so long before the swelling spreads and forces me to cut my workout short. *Please hold this against me: by the end of this week I WILL have a game plan on how to best manage my CECS and be (my version of 100%) by preseason in the beginning of August.* As any athlete of fit person can relate, when you are injured, or coming back from a break or illness, I find that it is extremely difficult to not compare where I am now to where I was at my peak or at my old “normal”. And once the swelling in my compartments builds, first causing pain, then causing me to limp a little, and finally after limp/running for long enough, causing my to stop running altogether and sit down, I begin to mentally breakdown. WHICH IS CURRENTLY WHAT I’M WORKING ON FIXING 🙂 I need to remind myself that everything will work out in the end and that my legs will get better – at least that I will be able to run for longer or at a faster pace. POSITIVITY IS KEY!

Keeping that little background paragraph in mind, I was dreadfully walking down to the field not looking forward to running at all, mostly in fear that I wouldn’t be able to run as far or as fast as my previous workouts. God slash the Universe slash a great force must have heard my negative thoughts and wanted to help me cheer up.

Another bit of background information essential for describing the current situation: To enter the field while it’s locked, and it usually is, I have to walk around the outside of a fence, to get to a shed, unlock the shed to get the key, and then use the key to unlock the gate/fence that I previously just walked the perimeter of.

Back to the thrilling story: So here I am, turning the corner of the fence after walking along the outside edge of it to get to the sheds. I’m mostly looking down at my feet and where I’m walking to avoid rolling my ankle and even further injuring myself. I see a fairly large dark mass in the middle of the sidewalk. Let me tell you, it scared me so much! It’s like when you walk into a room and just mind your own business and then suddenly you realize someone else was in the room with you all along! I realized it was a turtle, took a deep breath of relief and looked up to see a deer staring right at me. Keep in mind, for a college kid living in a town which helps construct the “Historic Triangle” (Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown) I don’t interact with too many animals, especially all at once, and even more so, not ever on campus. Of course I took some pictures, and also later found two more decently large turtles, along with a few small, black frogs.

IMG_3977 IMG_3981IMG_3982

Thank you to the greater force for looking out for me and lightening my mood before my workout. And for those of you who are particularly interested in my run, I ran a warm up, stretched, and then completed two one-mile repeats before stopping, while doing core circuits in the break time. I happily used my new and improved Garmin Forerunner (HUGE thanks to Garmin once again) – read more about my “new” watch here! And ran the first mile in 7:15 with the swelling beginning around the 5:30 mark. For mile repeats, I run a mile and rest in the same amount of time I ran before running another mile, resting for the second mile’s time and so on. During my 7 minute “rest” I completed an intense core circuit (because why not?) and began my second mile. The second mile was much more painful, however I surprisingly managed to finish it in 8:18, which is MUCH faster than I felt like I was shuffling along. While finishing up the tail end of my second mile I decided against pushing through a third mile to avoid building up an unnecessary amount of swelling if I had just stopped running.

Stay tuned for updates later this week on my summer running game plan, my Whole30 experiences, and more adventures, workouts and healthy eating!


<<<< How I felt after completing my run this evening! As a wonderful Pinterest quote I recently found says, “things don’t get easier, you just get stronger.” This is always something great to keep in mind! #strongandsmiling #positivity #happiness

P.S. if you click on any pictures in my blog, they will get bigger – and you can also pin them on pinterest, share them with your friends or just admire them as larger images!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s